Friday, May 22, 2015

Fiction Friday: May 22, 2015: Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers

I absolutely loved this book, the ninth---NINTH---9th---charmer in Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series. Mr. McCall Smith is a prolific writer with an easy-going style that draws me in and settles me down for a long, satisfying read, and leaves me wanting more when I've finished.

Poor Bertie, encumbered with a dominating and clueless mother, Irene, can hardly wait to turn 18, when he can go out on his own (but not if schoolmate and would-be girlfriend Olive has her way). When Irene wins a trip to Dubai, Bertie and his father go out for pizza, Bertie goes on a campout with his friends, and Irene has her own exciting adventure.

Domenica and Angus continue their friendship and marriage; Domenica's old frenemy Antonia comes back from Italy with a friend who is a nun; Matthew and Elspeth and their triplet sons find a new home and a nanny for their nanny; the new nanny seems to be the one who will eventually tame the narcissistic Bruce; Cyril spends time with some friends, old and new; and Big Lou finds someone to love. That's not all, but that's all I'm going to say about it for now because I hope you'll read the book. 

I also recommend the books in Mr. McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series, including "The Forgotten Affairs of Youth" and "The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds"; and in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective series, including "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon"  and "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" (which I haven't reviewed yet, but will, soon).

No comments: