Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Banned Books

It's Banned Books Week, and my friend Jodi at the super Book Warehouse in the Columbia Gorge Outlets mall along I-84 in Troutdale, Oregon, told me this:

"It's weird, the books that people have banned. Charlotte's Web, can you believe it? That's where I learned big words, like FABULOUS, SPINNERETS, SALUTATIONS, FURTHERMORE, and PHENOMENON. All those multi-syllabic words!"



And Jodi gave me as many "Read a Banned Book" pins as I wanted, so I can give them to my friends.

Is it true that banning books marginalizes children? I think so. Read this article and see if you agree.

Here's a list of frequently banned and challenged books. Amazingly, books on this list include:

Animal Farm
The Sun Also Rises
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Awakening
Catch-22
Their Eyes Were Watching God
A Farewell to Arms
To Kill a Mockingbird


What's your favorite banned book?

And what banned book will you be reading this week, in honor of our American values, and our Constitution's expression of these values, of freedom of expression?


2 comments:

LFP said...

Jodi rocks. Also I still say, who in the hell bans "Charlotte's Web?" It's not even anti-arachnid!

AskTheGeologist said...

To Kill a Mockingbird.
Catch-22.
Animal Farm.