Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Hunger Artist

Dear Readers, 

Madame L thinks this is one of the best short stories ever written. She hopes you will follow this link to "A Hunger Artist" and read it. Then please tell Madame L what you think of itl.

Why does the hunger artist fast? 


“Because,” said the hunger artist, lifting his head a little and, with his lips pursed as if for a kiss, speaking right into the supervisor’s ear so that he wouldn’t miss anything, “because I couldn’t find a food which tasted good to me. If had found that, believe me, I would not have made a spectacle of myself and would have eaten to my heart’s content, like you and everyone else.” 

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I read it. I think that the people I know who are anorexic, well, I guess anorexia is today's form of the hunger artist. I think that once you get used to fasting, then it's easier to fast than to eat. And I think that this is a really, really sad story.