Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pants on Fire # 15: My Opponent and I Are Really Friends

The Lie: When debaters call each other "My Friend,"  they really mean it; and when the debate is over, they get along just fine.

The Truth:  Of course we all know they're not really friends, and we've all heard on the news that the current presidential candidates really dislike each other. So the "My friend" is a convention, but the following story about this convention is the best Madame L has ever heard, so she wants to share it with all her Dear Readers.

James Lipton told the story last Friday on Alex Wagner's show, talking about how V.P. Joe Biden kept calling Rep. Paul Ryan "my friend." He said the greatest example of this convention was when two English politicians dispensed with the niceties and told each other their true feelings:

Gladstone said, "Assuredly, Sir, you shall die on the gallows or of a venereal disease."

Disraeli replied, "That depends, Sir, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."


No comments: