Sunday, June 30, 2013

Book Review, June 30, 2013: World War Z


(Subtitle: An Oral History of the Zombie War)

Madame L asked herself the other day, "Self, what is it with the zombie stuff going through our culture lately?" 

She answered herself, "Self, while I have a few ideas about this, it will take me days and maybe weeks to put them all together."

Meanwhile, Madame L has been reading some books about the possibly upcoming zombie apocalypse, as well as other, non-zombie, post-apocalyptic tales, and will be sharing these with You, Dear Readers, in the weeks to come.

First, though, Dear Readers, why do zombies want to eat our brains? Madame L has no idea but will look up the answer to that question and answer it soon. She hopes you'll enjoy this song* while you're waiting (Lyrics at the bottom of this post).*  Madame L would also like to hear from her Dear Readers about the advantages and disadvantages of staying locked inside a mall, or anywhere else, during the zombie apocalypse. Madame L would also like to hear what her Dear Readers think about whether zombies run fast or slow. Please comment!


Back to topic: "World War Z," which has been made into a movie, is a surprisingly good take on the whole zombie idea. It's so well researched it made Madame L go to the Web to look up some of the terms used, and she was pleased to find that the geographical, historical, cultural, and military references checked out.

But what about plot? Yes, the plot is good, too. Because it's like a procedural or a documentary, some of the normal novelistic ploys are unnecessary, leaving the reader with the impression of reading a very detailed and accurate account of real events, no fake love story or soap-opera-like elements involved. Oh, but, there's violence, as you can well imagine. But it's what you would expect as people try to save their own lives and the lives of their families from the zombie hordes.

Have any of Madame L's Dear Readers seen the movie yet? If so, please share with Madame L and all the other Dear Readers your thoughts on it; and how well it translates the documentary-like tone of the book to the big screen, whether it adds those movie-plot tried-and-trues such as a ridiculous love interests and love scenes, speechifying at critical moments, and the suspenseful wait while the moronic supposed heroes make ridiculous mistakes resulting in the deaths of millions of people, and so on. When Madame L has a chance to watch the movie, she will review it, too. Here's the official trailer:



*And here are the lyrics to the greatest zombie song ever:

Heya Tom, it's Bob, from the office down the hall
Good to see you buddy, how've you been?
Thing have been okay for me except that I'm a zombie now
I really wish you'd let us in
I think I speak for all of us when I say I understand
Why you folks might hesitate to submit to our demand
But here's an FYI: you're all gonna die screaming

All we want to do is eat your brains
We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes
All we want to do is eat your brains
We're at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise
If you open up the door
We'll all come inside and eat your brains

I don't want to nitpick, Tom, but is this really your plan?
Spend your whole life locked inside a mall?
Maybe that's okay for now but someday you'll be out of food and guns
And then you'll have to make the call
I'm not surprised to see you haven't thought it through enough
You never had the head for all that bigger picture stuff
But Tom, that's what I do, and I plan on eating you slowly

All we want to do is eat your brains
We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes
All we want to do is eat your brains
We're at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise
If you open up the doors
We'll all come inside and eat your brains

I'd like to help you Tom, in any way I can
I sure appreciate the way you're working with me
I'm not a monster Tom, well, technically I am
I guess I am

I've got another meeting Tom, maybe we could wrap it up
Know we'll get to common ground somehow
Meanwhile I'll report back to my colleagues who were chewing on the doors
I guess we'll table this for now
I'm glad to see you take constructive criticism well
Thank you for your time I know we're all busy as hell
And we'll put this thing to bed
When I bash your head open

All we want to do is eat your brains
We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes
All we want to do is eat your brains
We're at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise
If you open up the door
We'll all come inside and eat your brains


2 comments:

LFP said...

Based on only the trailers I didn't think I'd want to see that movie, and that from someone who watches The Walking Dead! But everyone I've spoken to who has seen it has said it's actually good. It's on my list.

I was talking to a sales associate at the Apple store the other day who told me he was going to survive the zombie apocalypse. I laughed and said, "Because you can run fast?" because this guy was not athletic looking or seemed as though he knows how to defend himself or use a gun. He laughed back and said, "No. Because I'm smart." He gave me some good tips for surviving the certain impending zombie apocalypse. He said start stockpiling food now. And when the time comes, make sure you've got a ladder and place you can go to with at least a second level. Blow the stairs out and use the ladder as necessary, because zombies can't climb. He stated that very matter-of-factly. I asked him where he was getting his information and he referenced some "Survival Guide for Humans for the Zombie Apocalypse," book, although I don't know if that's the actual title.

AskTheGeologist said...

As someone who reads slow (I'm a physicist, but it doesn't mean I'm a bad person!), I take care about things that I will inevitably spend a looooong time (possibly) reading.

Anything with zombies is at least three cuts below my bottom line. Same level with bromance novels and Paula Deen cookbooks.
~~~~~