Friday, February 27, 2015

Fiction Friday: Feb. 27, 2015: Smash! Trial by Fire


This fun graphic novel for all ages was written by Chris Bolton and illustrated by his brother Kyle. I got it because I attended a workshop led by Chris Bolton, who is about the nicest guy ever, and from what he said I figured I would learn a lot about formatting a graphic novel.

I still haven't read all the way through it (sorry!) but have read the beginning, which is really good and would have drawn me in if I hadn't been so pressed for time. And I've enjoyed picking it up and opening it randomly to pages to see how the dialogue bubbles are done and admire the art.

Another reason I'm not writing a big huge review here is that I'm not that much of a reader of graphic novels, so I don't have a framework to fit this in...yet. But it looks great! And I'll write about it soon, after I've read it, promise!

Here's a synopsis of the story, from the authors' Web site:
Like many 10-year-old boys, Andrew Ryan is short, lacking in athletic and social skills, and daydreams about being a superhero. Unlike other boys, however, Andrew’s dream actually comes true when he gains super powers and becomes the costumed crimefighter known as Smash!

Go to the Smash Comic Web site to find out more about the book and its creators.

Another review of the book:

So yesterday, the kids got in a big fight over who got to read Smash.  Saiph had finished it, but then Rigel read it and loved it and had only like 10 pages left to go, and Saiph admitted that he hadn't read it from beginning to end, he'd started reading somewhere in the middle and like it but it didn't completely make sense to him.  Rigel insisted that he had to read it from the beginning because it was SO GOOD and it would make more sense to him.  So then Saiph started reading again but Rigel wanted to finish the last 10 pages and it turned into a physical fight over the book.  Then this morning, Rigel came to me and said, "Can you write to Grandma and ask her if there's a sequel for Smash?"  I said that I didn't think there was but I'd ask.  And now you have a good sense of what kind of graphic novels they love!



No comments: