Monday, March 21, 2011

What's a Green Card?

Dear Madame Elle,

I have a friend who recently became an American citizen. A Canadian by birth, her mother is an American. She and her mother had to collect anything they could--old school records and work recrods--to prove that her mother actually lived in the U.S. for 10 years or more around her 14th birthday, in order for my friend to be able to become a dual citizen. On her first trip with the "proof" to the American Consulate in Canada, she and her mother were rebuffed by the rude employee. But after gathering more information, her second trip was more productive, and she was able to repeat an oath to become a U.S. citizen.

My question regards a green card. What is it? She talks about having had one during all these years of living in America, and how grateful she is to get a passport instead. She says, "Even the simple process of renewing my drivers license, setting up my will, or any legal procedure was a source of tension for me. Now, I can relax and my life will not have to be consumed with the protection of my green card." I never thought about her, or anyone else living near me, as needing special permission in the form of a green card in order to be my neighbor. Could you explain, please?

Thanks,

Sheltered Liver. I mean, Sheltered Lifer. I mean, Not a World Traveler. 


Dear Sheltered,

A green card is a permanent resident card that lets a non-U.S. citizen show any questioning officials that he or she is legally residing in the U.S. It is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), yes, those very same officials with whom your friend and Madame L and various family members have also had some rather unpleasant experiences.

Getting a green card requires labyrinthing one's way through a bureaucratic maze, but at least the USCIS's website is available to help explain the procedures.

The movie "Green Card," which was made in 1991 and released on DVD in 2003 (Walt Disney, PG-13), humorously illustrates some of the lengths people will go to for a green card. It's a cute romantic comedy starring Gerard Depardieu and Andie MacDowell, fun to rent but not so great that Madame L has rushed out to buy it. 

No comments: