Friday, March 11, 2011

Who's the Christian?

Madame L:

So ... are Christians who bad-mouth Catholics and Muslims and Mormons really Christians?

I knew a man once, Abdullah Showail, who was a devout Muslim. He always tried to help other people, no matter what their religion, and always gave to the poor and always prayed. 

We also had a neighbor once who wouldn't let his kids play with our kids, "because you aren't Christians,"  excluded them from neighborhood play, and old them they were damned to Hell.

So ... who's the Christian? 


Dear "Who,"

Madame L is puzzled, as you are, by the behavior of such holier-than-thou people; and is very relieved to know that she doesn't have to figure out who the real Christians are. It will be up to God Himself to decide and to judge all of us. He's the only one who knows us well enough, and loves us completely enough, to judge us.

Madame L finds herself, every day of her life, struggling to act like a Christian.

And so she asks you, "Who," and everyone else who would like to respond:

How do YOU deal with anger, envy, and other such negative feelings? What helps you remember Christ and turn your thoughts and behavior to be more like Him? How do you fill your soul so full with the love of Christ that you don't have any room left for unkindness or unhappiness?

Thanks for your question, and thanks in advance for your answers,

Madame L

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Isn't it interesting how "good works" has become synonymous with being a Christian, as if Christians have a monopoly on good works. But that doesn't answer your question. What helps me remember Christ and turn my thoughts and behavior to be more like Him? How do I fill my soul so full with the love of Christ that I don't have any room left for unkindness or unhappiness? The single most effective thing I've found for helping me have kind feelings for others is to fill my own soul with love and kindness about myself. Whatever I'm feeling inside, whether good or bad, is reflected in my feelings and actions toward others. And the best way I know to feel good about myself is to seek the Spirit, because when I have the Spirit, I feel good. And the best way I know to have the Spirit is through scripture-reading and daily prayers of thanksgiving for my many blessings. When I do these things, I am humble and more receptive to those good feelings. Not that I always do those things...But when I do, I'm happier about myself, and much kinder to those around me. Now, those are the best preventative measures I know of. However, when I've already messed up and said or done something unkind, those things are a big help, but nothing replaces a plain old "I'm sorry." And it seems like I have to say that a lot, because I'm always messing up.

LFP said...

I have a question for the omniscient Madame L (finally!) Is it true that the Japan earthquake from this week moved the earth's axis 10.0 cm, moved Japan 8 feet and sped up the rotation of the earth?