Friday, April 15, 2011

Social Security Question

Dear Madame L,

I know today is the Ides of April, or, as it's known in the U.S., tax day, so maybe you're too busy for a Social Security question, but I don't know who else to ask. 

I've just received a statement from the Social Security Administration showing all the withholding over the years at all the jobs I've worked at, and they're missing 4 years, which I think could make a big difference on my Social Security benefits when I retire.

What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance,

Will Never Be Able to Retire At This Rate

Dear Middle-Class Worker,

Never fear! Madame L has checked on this for you, and it should be easy to fix the errors on your Social Security statement.

In the second paragraph of your statement, you'll read, "Please read the statement carefully. If you see a mistake, please let us know." 

Ah, but now, you're asking, "How do I let them know?" 

First, try calling this number: 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, Eastern time, with your tax returns or W2 forms from the year(s) with errors right there in front of you. If you get stuck in the automated system and get put on hold, you can visit your local Social Security office. To find where it is, go to the Social Security Administration's Online Regional Web Sites or to the Local Office Search page, where you can enter your ZIP Code to find the nearest office.

You may also want to write a letter to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Bldg.
Baltimore, MD 21235

Best of luck,

Madame L

1 comment:

AskTheGeologist said...

If you notice something missing in your Social Security statement, GET IT FIXED. When you're 70 years old, and politicians in Washington scale back Social Security because they are afraid of the political third rail (to raise taxes), every little bit will help you to live. In the 1950's and 1960's, there were people in the United States of America who were eating dog food - because it had protein and they could afford a 50-cent can a day. We don't need that again.